Old 24-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

Default Bees

Ivan McDonagh writes:

Having far, far too many of the horrible european honey bees in my garden
at the moment is a bit of a concern though - I understand these loathsome
creatures are quite willing and able to destroy the native queen and take
over the hive. Unfortunately I can't recall exactly where I got this
information so its veracity is open to challenge.

I doubt it. The blue arsed bee (don't know it's proper name) nests in
our brick wall. European honey bees use things like tree hollows (and
compete for space and food with possums).

Strangely, there is a push among some horticulturists for the
introduction of the European bumblebee even though the native blue
arsed bee is a much more effective pollinator.

--
Take my first and surname to email me and replace the abuse.