Old 24-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Curiosity

Default Garden is now a pond

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:03:16 -0000, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"Curiosity" wrote in message
.. .

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

Accept the inevitable and design in a water garden at the lowest point for
the water to drain into.

The plot is absolutely flat with no slope at all.
An automatic bilge pump arrangement can be set up to dump any surplus into a
nearby drain (which I am assuming will run at a lower level than your
garden).

There is a land drain running along the edge of the field,
unfortunately it runs alongside someone else's plot. I have been
monitoring the build for almost 9 months and have never seen this
amount of surface water before.

Another thought occurs to me might to raise the level of the garden
slightly above the field with another load of topsoil ?.