Old 24-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Neil

Default Garden is now a pond

"Curiosity" wrote in message
Hi

I have recently visited my new bungalow which is nearing completion,
the builder is turfing the front garden but the rest of the garden is
up to me.

I was a bit dismayed to see that most of my rear garden is now a pond
about 3 to 4 inches deep. The plot has been carved out of a field used
for grazing sheep, I guess the ground has been compacted by the
building work and is accepting the runoff from the field.

It looks like I will have to hire a rotavator and put in some sort of
land drainage.

Any suggestions, I am guessing some sort of buried holy pipe leading
to a pit full of rubble (soakaway ?), I think the rainwater from the
roof is already going to a soakaway.

TIA

Paul

Hi, I specialize in new gardens so this is familiar! The soil structure has
been damaged to some depth. Digging bores may help initially. You need to
turn a good depth to sort the problem out. The old fashion double-dig is
best and you get to work some added nutrients in as well. If the sub-soil
is clay and near the surface then add some land-drain piping or a channel
dug and part filled with gravel running into your soak-away. If the soil is
not clay you could upset the water levels for your finished garden.
Neil Faulkner
www.conceptgardens.com