Old 24-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Fish freezing solid in shallows

Robyn,

I wonder if your goldfish were hanging out in the shallow part of the pond
because of the ice itself. Is there any "structure" in the deeper part of
your pond for the fish to hang out near or under?

My goldfish hangs out between the two filters of my Little Giant pump since
there are no pond plants in the pond now. (I had a Parrotfeather in a pot
on the bottom of the pond earlier; the fish hung out underneath the leaves,
and the frogs sat on top of the floating leaves.)

You may not get a decent break in the weather to add any structure to your
pond this season, but you might keep it in mind for next year.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC