Old 25-01-2004, 09:33 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Oldest bush

David Hershey schreef
You said "ring counting is of very limited use" but thought it was

"very accurate" for bristlecone pine and worked well for some oaks.
I've also read dendrochronologists have found it accurate for Pinus
ponderosa.

What are some temperate tree species where ring counting has been

shown to be inaccurate?

+ + +
Actually I said that "ring counting is of very limited use" and that
determinations of age by dendrochronology can be very accurate, depending on
a number of factors. As I explained earlier, "dendrochronology" and "ring
counting" are not the same, except colloquially.

Your query for "some temperate tree species where ring counting has been
shown to be inaccurate" has it backwards. "White noise" is everywhere. The
focus is to find a species in a given area that lends itself to
dendrochronology. Oak is doing very well, but other species can be made to
serve with extra care. There is a treatise on the suitability in this
respect of not-commonly used species by Schweingruber, "Trees and Wood in
Dendrochronology", Springer-Verlag, 1993.
PvR

PS. If you are just looking for a piece of wood to demonstrate false growth
rings, look for it in one of the softwoods. Happens a fair amount.