Old 25-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Andrew G

Default Boiled water in the garden

"Yvonne" wrote in message
Hi!
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but I have an elderly friend who
likes to ask strange questions sometimes.

For some obscure reason, he wonders if watering a garden with boiling (I
think he means boiled) water is useful for the garden or not? I add that

the
water would be cooled first to avoid scalding the plants.

The idea may be that boiling the water may remove some or all of the
nutrients, thus rendering the water of absolutely no use to the plants at
all! Are the plants watered just to wet them, or is it a means of

providing
them with food? Or should I look for some scientific forum in which to ask
this question?

TIA for any opinions or knowledge anyone may have to offer on this enigma.
Yvonne. (p.s. pls reply to group as email address is fictitious)

I haven't heard of it before, but the best test would be to try it.
Simply get 2 plants, annuals would be best and water one with tap water, the
other with boiled. Keeping everything else equal, such as water temp,
lighting etc.
Possibly chlorine added by water supplier could have a negative effect, and
boiling it could kill the chlorine off.
No doubt rain water (no chlorine i guess?) whether it be straight from sky
or tank has a much better effect than tap water, so boiled COULD do the
same.
Something I might test?