Old 25-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Hillevi P

Default Strap-leaved, single flowered paph species - Winter Rest

I grow some green-leaved, mostly one-flowered species in a western bedroom
window. They have slightly different temperature needs so I placed them
differently according to that. I open a part of the (three-part) window
during the nights. It gets cold, as I live in the middle of Sweden, but if I
open the window just a little, the temperatures are just perfect.

Closest to the window are P fairrieanum, spicerianum and henryanum. Then
comes gratrixianum and a couple of unnamed hybrids, also green-leaved.

I have the paphs in baskets hanging in the middle of the window, as I have
other orchids below them, which I want to have a higher humidity than the
paphs. From my experience the paphs don't take too well to water on the
leaves and flowers (esp gratrixianum).

The temperatures during the winter goes down to 10 C at nights for the first
group, and maybe 15 for the second. 15-20 during the day, depends on what is
most comfortable for me. I like sleeping/living in cold temperatures anyway.
They grow and flower well under the circumstances, but I have never had a
greenhouse so I do not have anything to compare with.

When I lived at home with my parents I used a bathroom out of order for my
cooler growers. I never heated it at all, just opened the door in the winter
to regulate the temp if needed. It was easy to keep the humidity high, as
the communal water was soft, I used the shower to wet the walls in the
morning. Pretty much handled itself...

Which species are you planning to grow? I suppose you mean the
one/two-flowered species as they tend to need cooler winter rest than the
multi-flowered?
My favourite is the smaller cold-growing species. They are quite hard to
find, and expensive, but small and beautiful.

//Via

"john beasley" skrev i meddelandet
. ..
I am curious for some feedback from those who grow green-leaved paph
*species* inside the house - esp. regarding how they handle any sort of
winter rest.

Thanks!

John