Old 25-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Ka30P

Default Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife

Dave wrote Thanks. I wish it included info on how and where frogs hibernate.
This
is critical to deciding how I will construct my pond.

Depends on the frog.
Some frogs, such as bullfrogs and leopard frogs, spend the winter at the bottom
of the pond.
Other frogs, such as the tree and chorus frogs, spend their winters in leaf
litter and under logs.

Frogs that winter under water like a bit of mud, some leaf litter or a tub of
nice mud to hang out in.
Most importantly they need a hole kept open in the ice. This allows built up
gasses from decomposing pond matter to leave the pond. Since our garden ponds
are usually over stocked and over planted this is important. Mother Nature
usually doesn't have this to worry about.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html