Old 25-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Strawberries

The message
from emon (Rhiannon S) contains these words:

Speaking as someone who has twice woken up to find ice on the
INSIDE of her
bedroom window, don't tempt fate.

Huh! Speaking as someone who has woken to find ice on the *INSIDE* faces
of his bedroom walls .......

And that with two Aladdin table lamps and a Valor 2" wick paraffin
heater going full blast.

Youch, you win.

Had a lad of eleven staying at the time and he lurked in a sleeping bag
in front of the fire, but when it really got cold, he moved into my room
and had the sofa, and all the eiderdowns and blankets were pressed into
service, plus the two lamps and the Valor stove.

There was an iron water butt outside: about 3' 6" high and 3' across,
and during that spell of weather it froze solid. There was an indicated
(max/min thermometer) of -20°C.

My neighbour gloomily pointed out that the wind was from the north-east,
circulating round a stable high pressure area, and there was no higher
ground than our bit of the East Anglian heights between us and the
Urals. According to the weather man the wind was coming straight (well,
in a curve, really) from Siberia.

That was the patch of weather we saw the big cat tracks in the snow.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/