Old 25-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Robert

Default Spuds

: I have just acquired a 50% share in an allotment of best
: Cambridgeshire fen soil and am keen to stock it with suitable
: varieties of vegetables.
:
: Spuds first (though I don't expect to plant them until March).
:
: I don't make chips, but my girlfriend and I like potatoes eaten most
: other ways.
:
: Any recommendations as to what I should put in?

It's down to personal choice really and what suits your soil best. Some
potatoes do well for me but not for someone else on another field, so you
should try some different kinds. I hardly grow any maincrop these days
because they usually succumb to blight (because they stay in longer and
blight usually comes along later in the season). Where you are, you may not
suffer from blight so much as I believe you are in a dryer area. The ones I
grow are Pentland Javelin and Maris Bard and I set these up for chitting in
a light and cool (frost free) room yesterday. My favourite of all, I think
is the maincrop, King Edward but it is a slug hotel and I have found nothing
to keep the lodgers out lol . Good growing

Robert South West England