Old 25-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Spuds

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

I have just acquired a 50% share in an allotment of best Cambridgeshire fen
soil and am keen to stock it with suitable varieties of vegetables.

Spuds first (though I don't expect to plant them until March).

I don't make chips, but my girlfriend and I like potatoes eaten most other
ways.

Any recommendations as to what I should put in?

*IF* you can run some down, (and I have only seen them on the Isle of
Lewis) there's a variety which people think is called Zulu Queen. They
call it bontata dubh - black potato.

The skin is such a dark purple it appears black. If you cut it, the
flesh is distinctly cream, but with a dark purple ring inside the flesh,
often with purple rays reaching to the centre.

Cooked, it has a marvellous flavour, and holds together - which is just
as well, because the purple turns grey as it is cooked and looks
revolting when mashed......

Cold, in salads etc it is out of this world, and it likes growing in
peat. Acid peat, anyway.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/