Old 26-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Mica Pots

Andy Rutledge wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ireneu Castillo"
Hello All!
I'm interested to buy a big pot for one tree, but ceramic pots are too
expensive and then I had thought in mica pots, because they are cheaper
than ceramics.

----------------------

Excellent choice for economy's sake and for training.
----------------------

It's recommendable to use this kind of pots instead ceramic? Can I
damage the tree?
Thank you a lot!
-Ireneu-

----------------------

Of course you can damage the tree - but not by use of mica pots. Mica pots
are great pots for training and they don't look half bad, either. Go for
it, save a buck and get a good pot.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com/palaver/main.htm
zone 8, Texas

I use mica pots for training, as one step up from a wooden box. For instance,
I've got a really fat honeysuckle that's over a century old that I collected last
year. It's in a 24" mica pot now, which makes it at least somewhat portable, as
much as a tree that size can be portable. After another couple of years I think
it's going to go into a ceramic pot.

The way I'm looking at it, I 'm not going to spend a lot of money on a big ceramic
pot and then discover that it either isn't right for the tree, or the tree isn't
worthy of the pot. For me, I'd wait on a large ceramic pot until I really felt the
tree was ready for it. For most cases, as Alan Walker noted in a separate email,
many exhibits even allow them. Go for the mica for now, and save up for the
ceramic pot once the tree has had a few years in training and you have a better
idea what it's going to look like, and as a result, you'll have a much better idea
what size and shape pot will work for it.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++