Old 26-01-2004, 12:01 PM
profpam

Default Question on Vanda spikes

A post on another forum said that Orthene is another item that is being
discontinued. So many of the better products have been removed from the
shelves. But, then again, I switched to Neem Oil in the greenhouse when
my volunteer tomato plant produced about three dozen large tomatoes as
Orthene can't be used on vegetables.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Too much, IMHO. I'm in Port St. Lucie, and some successful local
semi-commercial growers use 2 teaspoons. I tried the label amount once and
it caused some defoliation here and there, and damage to buds. Used right,
Orthene appears not to harm flowers. Also, watch out for gardenia season if
you have any near your orchids. Orthene the gardenias; they're thrip
magnets.

I know it's a pain, but I'd get on it. Those things can run through a Vanda
spike like Grant took Richmond! (Yes, I know from bitter experience.......)
And no sense taking chances until you see damage to other orchid flowers.
Hit 'em all.

Diana