Old 26-01-2004, 12:09 PM
~*~ Vosklady ~*~

Default Loach recommendation for small planted tank

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:07:40 GMT, Dunter Powries wrote:

Victor Martinez wrote in message
Hi. I used to have B. striata in my 20g long planted tank (fluorite
substrate), but I moved them to the big tank. Now I have too many snails
in the little tank, so I'm thinking of adding 1-3 small loaches to be
permanent residents. Which species would you recommend? The tank has 4
species of shrimp in it, some ottos and 3 pigmy cories. And thousands of
snails, 3 different species.
Any help would be most appreciated.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Horsehead loach: Acantopsis choirorhynchus

I THINK I have two in my 75-gallon - entire weeks go by that I don't see
them. They don't actually eat any snails, but they eat every speck of
(submerged) snail spawn - I have to raise my redramshorns in a separate
tank. They're my favorite loach for planted tanks.

http://pages.prodigy.net/rahill0/spe...orsefaced.html

There's some confusion between horsehead, horseface, and long-nosed... make
sure you're getting A. choirorhynchus!

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...othynchus.html

I'd have to say I'd recommend the Yo-Yo Loach (Botia almorhae) a.k.a
Pakistani Loach and formerly known as Botia Lohachata. I've had three of
these guys in my tank for well over a year and they've just about maxed out
in size at 4.5 inches. They have good temperaments and have never bothered
the other tank residents. At most, I've just seen them "play" with other
tank residents, swimming back and forth the length of the tank in a cute
and playful way.

I've seen them eat snails . . . mostly smaller ones, but if you have
larger snails you want to treat them with, then just crunch the shells and
let it drop to the bottom. The Yo-Yo's will eat this up after lights out.

Further Info:

http://loaches.com/species_pages/botia_almorhae.html

http://www.aqualink.com/columns/k-loach1.html

Hope This Helps!

Regards,

~*~ Vosklady ~*~
--
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. - Ralph Waldo Emerson