Old 26-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Is this still organic gardening?

David Bunch wrote:

If a person were to add chemical fertilizer to a pond to spur an algae
bloom, then to harvest the algae for use as compost, would that still be
considered "organic gardening"?

The USDA has regulations on what can and cannot be called organic.
However, the regulations apply only to farms which have gross sales over
$5000. Since this excludes most gardeners, the word organic means
whatever you want it to, no more and no less.

As far as the USDA regulations are concerned, your compost with
prohibited materials added would not be considered organic. As I recall,
in order to be (sold as) organic compost, it has to reach a temperature
of 140 F for some specified period of time (which I've forgotten) and
has to be turned 5 times in 15 days.

What will the algae bloom do to the pond inhabitants? Sounds
inconsistent with the idea of organic gardening, which considers more
than just the garden.