Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Quick vine question!

"Andy Hunt" wrote in
:

Assuming they have survived the cold, I have lots of Chinese
gooseberry seedlings. However, you need a male and a female vine if
you want fruit, and I have no idea if you can tell the sexes apart
before they begin to flower.

You're welcome to some though. Or you can just set some seed straight
from a fruit

That's a really kind offer. Whereabouts are you? Would they survive
the Royal Mail, do you think?! I don't know if I have anything I could
offer by way of a trade . . .

I suppose the best thing to do would be to plant half-a-dozen plants
in the pot, and then as soon as they have flowered for the first time,
get rid of all of them except the strongest male and female. I'd have
to take some advice on how to tell them apart though!

I doubt you'll get several kiwis flowering in one pot. They are *very*
big plants, and take several years to flower.

You may just get away with planting one (self fertile cultivar) in a pot,
but I'm dubious about 2. If possible though, I'd plant into the nearest
patch of reasonable soil and train it round to where you want it to be.

It will cover several meters in a year.

Victoria