Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Kay Easton

Default Cactus identification needed

In article , Martin Sykes
writes

Ah, explains why I was having trouple identifying it. I thought the closest
match was a prickly pear but it was skinnier. I never thought of cacti
getting leggy.

What's the best thing to do? It has responded well to cuting back hard, and
cuttings take very easily. Should I just do that and then place it somewhere
lighter?

Take cuttings. The old brown bits on it will never rejuvenate so best
start again with a good bit. Then either keep it in a greenhouse or on a
S facing windowsill. It will appreciate being outside in a sunny spot
during the summer. Water it freely in the summer, keep it dry in the
winter, or give a bit of water now and gain if it's in a centrally
heated house, letting it dry out between waterings.

The fresh green colour looks like O brasiliensis, but this is very
tentative! If it is, the pads will be oval, about 2in by 1in, and only a
few mm thick. The older pads develop into round stems. It's a very
pretty delicate opuntia, but one which definitely loses its looks with
age!

Opuntias are relatively hardy cacti and will stand 1 or 2 degrees of
frost if bone dry. In the UK it's easier to bring them in in winter than
to keep them somewhere dry enough outside.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: