Old 27-01-2004, 12:50 AM
john beasley

Default Strap-leaved, single flowered paph species - Winter Rest

Via, thank you for your response. I actually have three (and want more).
One is a "bulldog complex hybrid", so I don't expect it will be too fussy
but I haven't had it long enough to know. My main concern is a Paph
markianum (aka tigrinum) that I bought about a year and a half ago. It
didn't bloom last spring. If it doesn't bloom this spring, I'll know I have
to do something more drastic because it is otherwise quite healthy, with
multiple growths. I've learned that I can get the temps down to around 50
if I open my bedroom windows at the top and bottom, and then pull the shade
down between the plants and the room. Thing is, it's a hassle to do that
every night and I'd rather not unless strictly necessary. Probably too late
to worry about it this year anyway. I think the critical time is late fall
early winter. I also have a henryanum and have wondered how critical the
cooling is for it. Thanks again for your input.

John

P.S. Tropical orchids in Sweden - Cool !!