Old 27-01-2004, 01:17 AM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Mica Pots

Jim Lewis wrote:

I use mica pots for training, as one step up from a wooden box.

Oh, come now!

Mica pots are SEVERAL steps up from a wooden box.

One step up would be a terra cotta pot.

Two steps up would be a bulb pot.

Three steps up would be a plain old plastic bonsai pot.

Four steps up would be a cracked bonsai pot.

and then, five steps up would be a mica pot.

Others may have a few in-betweens, and others may change the
order, but mica pots are really one step DOWN from a pretty good
Chinese bonsai pot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Jim, I think you misunderstood me. I was not saying that in the grand scheme of
things, mica pots are one step up from a wooden box. What I said was that for me,
personally, in MY bonsai garden, in MY personal bonsai practice, etc. mica pots
are the next step from wooden boxes. You wouldn't have any way of knowing this,
but I have a lot of trees in wooden boxes. Some more in kitty litter pans or the
equivalent, nursery pots, etc. A number in less expensive Chinese ceramic pots.
Nothing in real high-quality ceramic pots (Tokonome level).

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++