Old 27-01-2004, 08:12 AM
PK

Default Neighbour's tree encroaching

"Plum" wrote in message
Our garden and the surrounding area contains lots of lovely old trees

which
are subject to protection orders. I've got council permission to trim back
some of the lower branches of a big old yew tree which is leaning from the
adjoining garden. Some of the branches come six feet or so over into our
garden. The owner of the tree has also agreed to the branches being

trimmed,
but has said nothing about contributing to the cost. Should I just pay up
and shut up, or should the owner contribute?

Pay up and shut up!

He is obliged to do nothing unless there is damage being caused to buildings
etc.

I've asked my neighbour to crown lift and thin a 35 foot walnut and cut back
a once neatly trimmed holly. He sees the benefit to him as well as me and we
are splitting the cost (£270) 50:50.

In truth the neighbour has no say and no rights if you want to cut back the
overhanging branches. You have done more than you are obliged to do.

pk