Old 27-01-2004, 08:32 AM
jane

Default Spuds

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:46:04 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

~Rod25/1/04 6:46
$n -b
~erlin.de
~
~ Brian Watson wrote:
~snip
~ I don't make chips, but my girlfriend and I like potatoes eaten most other
~ ways.
~
~ Any recommendations as to what I should put in?
~
~
~
~ Maincrop - Picasso, Cara, Maxine.
~ Salad- Juliette.
~ Early - Rocket, Swift, Lady Cristl, Dunluce - Arran Pilot is still a good one
~ though not such a heavy cropper as some more recent ones.
~ More sugestions when you get a bigger allotment. Ask your neighbours about
~ slugs, you might be able to grow some good varieties that we can't grow in
~ wetter western areas.
~
~Dunbar are the tastiest potatoes, IMO but seem horribly prone to mildew,
~from what I'm told. But to me, they are nonpareil for flavour. Of course
~their problems are why you never see them now, I suppose. ;-(

For anyone undecided as to what spud, and who is near Coventry, this
weekend is the HDRA potato weekend. Saturday is for members but Sunday
is for anyone.

Apparently they have some quite rare varieties for sale.

--
jane

Mark Twain