Old 27-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Dick

Default Moving... any tips

n 26 Jan 2004 11:36:14 -0800, (Keng) wrote:

Hello everyone

I am going to be moving from NY to CA and I was wondering if you guys
could share some advice on how to go about moving my planted tank.

As it stands, it looks like I will be getting the freight forwarding
company to load and unload. I will be doing the packing. Any ideas on
how to get my plants, fish and gravel there? I was thinking of setting
up a temporary 10gal tank there and then have the fish and plants sent
on Fedex overnight. My concern would be that the temperature here is
running around 2-8F (without wind chill).

Just in case... its a
72 gal bow front
bout 300lbs of gravel
3 dozen or so cardinals
2 clown loaches
4 SAE

Thanks in advance.

Keng

Now that is a project! Just shipping an empty tank is hazardous. I
bought two tanks a 10 and 29 gallon via eBay. The seller of the 10
gallon said the tank broke while he was backing it. The 29 was new,
and the seller had to send three before one arrived unbroken. UPS was
the carrier that got the tank to me in one piece.

I buy everything over the internet. Plants and fish do ship regularly
and safely. Overnight shipment works. The fish stores ship in
styrofoam boxes and either chill or heat with chemical bags made for
that purpose.

I would be concerned about the reception in California. I would set
as big a tank up as you can. Put some fish into the tank and start
bio cycling. I sure wouldn't want to put travel weary fish into a
virgin setup.

I presume you will ship the tank empty. The plants will have to be
removed and shipped wrapped in wet newspaper. Put the package of
plants and wet newspapers into zip lock plastic. If you sort as you
pull and package by species you will have an easier time when you set
up your California tank.

When the tank arrives in California, allow for time to set it up
again.

It might be cheaper and safer to sell the tank in NY or give it to a
friend, buy a tank you want to keep in California. Set it up with
fish, gravel, etc and let it cycle. Then when you do move and ship
the important stuff to California, the plants and fish will have a
home ready to receive them.