Old 27-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Jim Lewis

Default Help identifying a volunteer

AFAIK it will produce peppers. Just not sure of their
edibitility.
I'm going to plant a couple outside just because I have 4

going. But
doubt they will last any winter here, without help anyways.

"Botanica" says the berries have a "peppery taste and have been
used like pepper, but are somewhat toxic" -- whatever *that*
means. I guess "somewhat toxic" means they'll make you sick but
won't kill you. ;-)

Trees in the genus Schinus have a propensity to becoming
invasive. We're spending millions in a fruitless effort to
eradicate (or even control) S. terebinthifolius in the
Everglades.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield