Old 27-01-2004, 04:13 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Wife worried about depth of pond and little grandkids and neighbor kids falling in

"Michael Lee" wrote in message
This is a very valid concern. We took our granddaughter to Water Babies so
she would learn how to float if she fell in. When she did, and I think it

is
inevitable that they will because a pond is so attractive, she bobbed to

the
surface and rolled over on her back, just like she was trained to do. Her
mom snatched her out, she wiped her face and said "I'm never going to do
that again, grandma!" There where not tears, no trama. That moment made it
well worth the cost of the lessons.

You have a major problem with it not being fenced. I think any lawyer

would
advise you to fill it in because it is what the legalese call and
"attractive nuisance" and lawsuit fodder.

snip

We've discussed this problem before, and IMHO there is simply one solution.
Be an active parent, both teaching them the dangers, and in watching them.
When our kids are in the yard, we always keep an eye out. That is part one.
Because even with the best training and ALL of the safety devices, it's a
big puddle of water, and they will find a way to drown in it. Secondly,
education. We have repeatedly beat the dangers of the pond into our
children's rapidly expanding grey matter. They know they should not go near
the pond without an adult nearby. Our 3 year old took a plunge in, one day
while we were working on the pond. That too was good education for him. LOL.

OK, I am rambling....in short...don't rely purely on safety devices. Teach
them and watch them.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com