Old 27-01-2004, 05:02 PM
madgardener

Default Installing pavers on dirt GH floor

3/8ths of an inch isn't that much, follow what the greenhouse instructions
say. Lay the weed barrier down, put a good three inch layer of sand over
that, and then set your pavers down on the sand. Don't forget to sweep
builders sand into the cracks after you lay the sand foundation and set the
pavers in. Sweeping the sand into the cracks fills up the cracks with sand,
which you then sprinkle with a fine mist of water. If the sand settles,
sweep more sand into the cracks to finish filling up the cracks and
resprinkle the pavers to set the sand.
madgardener

"Trent-Lion" wrote in message
The 13x15x9 ft. GH that I am restoring in North FL had a hard dirt
floor which drained reasonably well when open to the weather (GH glass
panes broken out). I had some old 8x16x2 inch pavers (concrete with
little rocks mixed in), so I simply laid them on the dirt, totally
covering the floor area. They have remained level for many months. I
have since learned that I need a weed barrier so I am now taking the
pavers out.

After reading many posts here on greenhouse floors, using pavers for
walkways and gravel under benches, etc. I think I would like to cover
the entire floor with pavers.

When I reinstall them, can I just use online instructions I have found
for installing a dry-laid walkway (essentially, sand tamped down to 1
inch), or is a greenhouse different? Charley's Greenhouse recommends
3/8 inch spacing between pavers. Does that sound okay? Thanks.
T-L