Old 27-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Theo

Default digging up old roots/replanting

If it is the root stock Dr Huey it might
take some effort to exterminate. I'm
still battling a Huey I shovel pruned
2 years ago. Keeps putting out suckers every
2 months or so.

Roses tend to deplete nutrients from the soil so putting
a new rose in the same spot with out some real soil
improvement is not a good idea. When I run into this
situation I typically replace the soil in a 2'x2'x2' volume
with fresh rich humus. Also add a couple of cups of
'time release' rose food pelets at the bottom.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

"Me" wrote in message
I bought my home 18 months ago. I didn't like some of the roses and pulled
them out. I've dug about 2 feet into the ground and the roots are still
strong.
The new rose bushes I'm putting in obviously don't won't have roots that
strong for years. Won't the roots from the old bushes shrivel up and die?
Is there anything else I can do before I drop the new bushes in?

Thanks