Old 28-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Ka30P

Default Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife

Dave wrote
What about plants such as cattails?

The trick to cattails is to keep them under control.
In an earth pond they will grow completely across unless the pond is deep
enough. I'm trying to remember what the magic depth is that cattails don't
like. In a planter pot they do fine other than taking over the pot and jumping
out with their razor sharp runners. But if you repot and keep up with them they
do fine. They will tip over in the wind in pots unless anchored.
If you are looking to attract wildlife I would go with a nice shallow
shoreline. Plants at the pond edge are important for cover for critters like
frogs and turtles and salamanders and newts. Also nice for animals that need a
drink.
If I were to do a pond like this, lined. I would make a wide shallow end and
cover it with rock or slate. To keep deer from damaging the liner. You'll have
to keep it weeded as it will grow over. I had a bog area fill all the way in
with grass that started as seeds that I harvested from the lake that my MIL
lives on.

If you only have a few fish, minnows for instance, I would not worry too much
about getting a hole open in the ice. Keep the stocking level very low, skim
the leaves in the fall and you should be okay.

kathy 30acre :-)