Old 28-01-2004, 04:33 AM
quest

Default Straw vs plastic matting for weed control

The fact that hay has more seeds in it seems to be moot, since heavy mulch
keeps them from getting enough sun to sprout. I've used it for the last two
years with excellent results in flower beds, having come to hate the rolls
of plastic/black stuff I've tried.
The red rolls for strawberries sound like they do more for that plant than
just keep weeds down. neat.

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , C
writes:

I am planning my strawberry garden for this spring. Would straw be a

viable
alternative to woven plastic matting for weed control? Would there be

any
disadvantage to using straw? Also, what are some other organic mulches

that
can be safely tilled under?

Thanks
David B

Straw is excellent and what many commercial growers use in our area. I
might be tempted to try red plastic for mulching. It worked well with
tomatoes and supposedly promotes fruit production. Stay away from hay
since hay has too many seeds in it.

I just read a little about that . Strawberries grown with red plastic

mulch,
smelled better, tasted sweeter, and yielded more fruit than with black

plastic.
USDA in South Carolina report. (Pacific Horticulture /January)
Emilie