Old 28-01-2004, 12:33 PM
J Fortuna

Default international orchid experience?

Reading the posts by Via (Hillevi P) from Sweden, I thought that it would be
really interesting if residents of different countries (or different states)
would like to share with us a brief review of orchid cultivation and/or wild
orchids in the countries where you live in. I realize that we are very
fortunate here in the US: we have many vendors of orchids who we can visit
or order from without needing to import from abroad, the availability and
affordability of orchids has been improving fast (one can buy orchids at
local supermarkets, at least in the many major urban areas), orchid growing
is quickly becoming a very popular hobby.

I am always very interested to see glimpses of other cultures here. AusDigi
has been posting photos of wild orchids growing in Australia on ABPO. We
have a whole bunch of rgo'ers who come from all over the world, plus I am
sure that many of the lurkers are from interesting places as well. Even
within the US, the experience of growing orchids in Wisconsin is very
different from growing in Florida.

We have been encountering some of these cultural differences over time. I
recall one poster assuming that a question referred to orchids grown in a
greenhouse because where he came from people do not grow on windowsills (I
believe it was in Australia, I will need to check archives again). I am
always a bit jealous of those of you who can grow orchids outdoors.

I think it would be interesting if you shared more with us what it is like
in your nook of the world.

Joanna