Old 28-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Joseph S. Larson

Default Soil testing

Jason: What kind of tree do you have? If it's a black walnut, it's
likely to be the cause of your problem. The roots secrete a substance
called juglone which is toxic to many plants. The leaves may be toxic
too (not sure of that). There are some plants that can tolerate living
with walnuts, but maybe grass isn't one of them. The other point about
your tree, if it casts a really dense shade, whether or not it's a
walnut, it could be just shading out the grass. Grass is meant to grow
in the sun, not shade, and it is a waste of effort to try and have a
lawn in dense shade. How about just mulching the whole area with wood
chips, pine needles or something like that.? Think of the time and
effort you'd save! As I used to tell the customers at the garden center
who wanted to grow grass in shade, "'Mother Nature always has the last
word"! Good luck.

Jason Walter wrote:

OK. Thanks for the help. It seems the consensus here is that I most likely
do not have a disease. I'' give a soil test a shot and see what happens.
Thanks.
jason

"Jason Walter" wrote in message
.com...

I think my yard has some type of fungus or dieses. I have a very large

tree

that has something on the leaves. Some type of fungus/discoloration. I

have

tried to lay sod 2 times, but each time it dies. First was centipede and

the

second was St Augustine. The backyard is mostly covered by the tree and

the

grass dies within a few weeks. The front is not covered, but it dies after

season. In the back I even tried spreading that seed mix that has

everything

including rye grass and that didn't even take. I had some real thin blade
grass sprout then die.

I want to try a soil testing company, but it looks like they only test for
PH and Nitrogen. Is there any that test for dieses as well ?

Thanks
Jason

--
Joseph S. Larson