Old 28-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Derek Turner

Default did anybody see this on urg?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:46:00 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

It's not about subdividing URG. URG is great and will stay as it is.

ahh but Martin it *is* and it *wont* - that's the way uk newsnet works
it becomes a sub-group to urg in the heirarchy
I just
don't understand why anyone cares if this other group wants another group to
discuss allotment stuff in particular.

then you've never tried to create a uk* newsgroup and never hung
around in u.n.n.c (though you're busy cross-posting to it!)

it's not a group of people making this proposal; it's one individual
who has never posted here!

Anyone who wants to discuss
allotments on URG still can but we don't *own* the subject and trying to
stop someone discussing elsewhere just isn't fair. Newsgroups aren't
mutually exclusive.

oh yes they are, at least in the uk hierarchy, the 'rules' are that if
a subject is adequately covered elsewhere no new group should be
created. The exception to this is where the volume of traffic makes
moving a sub-topic desirable. Are we flooded with allotment posts so
badly that we can't see the others? No! are allotments off-topic in
urg? definitely not!

I don't see anyone in rec.gardens (which as I understand
it is about gardening worldwide) complaining about URG discussing UK based
issues separately

that's what the uk hierarchy is for! whoever set it up would have had
to argue that gardening in the UK was sufficiently different from the
USA in order to start urg in the first place!

here's a quote from the urg charter

quote
In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific
newsgroups, discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands and
the Isle of Man will also be welcome. Because there are climatic,
legal, cultural and other differences, discussion of gardening in
other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are other regional
gardening newsgroups, and the global rec.gardens, one of which may be
more appropriate). Please note that this exclusion relates to subject
matter, not people, and posters from around the globe will be welcome
to participate in or initiate discussion of UK-relevant topics.

Specifically, please remember that there is no direct correlation
between US climate zones and the climate of the UK.
/quote

a cogent argument is being made for a uk group!

so why should it matter to URG if someone wants to discuss
allotments separately?

because no cogent argument is being made in the (very badly written)
RFD to justify one. In creating a new group the case needs to be
proved 'why', not 'why not'

hth Derek