Old 28-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Dave

Default Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife

ere (John Maddock) wrote in message ...
(Dave) writes:
(John Maddock) wrote in message ...
snip

And just how do you keep a hole in the ice on a remote pond? It seems
that we don't get the cold winters we did years ago here but still the
ice can easily get to six inches and stay frozen for many weeks. I
could poke a small hole in the ice but it would freeze up within a
short time. We don't get enough wind to do any wind-powered trickery.

(I think this reply got lost?)

You could try an Ice Guard, see:

http://www.greenideasltd.co.uk/

We have one in our pond and it seems to work quite well.

John.

Looks interesting. Is this a floating solar heated thing?

No it's not solar powered but relies on its insulating properties. According
to the website it has been tested down to -4F and it rarely gets lower than
that here in Scotland. Frogs certainly like it.

John.

So it is like a little styrofoam house with an aluminum tube? Unless
there is a US distributor I can hardly consider spending roughly $70
on something that one rock throwing child will easily destroy... but
the idea looks interesting -- if it really works. Seems amazing that
it could work down to -4F in the dead of night.