Old 28-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Martin Sykes

Default did anybody see this on urg?

Green wrote in message

The proponent is supposed to demonstrate a need and sufficient support
for a new group.

As I understand it, only if he wants to be uk.rec.gardening.allotments. if
he wants to be alt.allotments or anything else, the rules don't apply.

As for enough support, judging by the other responses he has that in spades
(pun intended). As for proving a need, I'd think it was enough that if all
he is interested in is allotments as a few people here have said, then
filtering out the 95% of other stuff which make up URG is reason enough.

Although most of our gardening by area is in an allotment, I honestly
can't see any advantage in a split, unless all the experts on
vegetable gardening move to the allotment newsgroup. Otherwise every
question on vegetables is going to have to be cross posted. In similar
situations on other overlapping groups people soon realise where the
expertise is and only post there.

But I'd expect that most people who know a resonable amount about allotments
would subscribe to the new group. Therefore, it would be unecessary to
crosspost to URG as there would be no expertise there which wasn't also
reading the new group as well. The only loss would be to newbies posting
allotment questions to urg but as has happened frequently in the past a
quick redirection from a reqular would sort it out.

Anyway, I'm dropping out of this thread now. I haven't heard any sensible
objections to the new group being formed and as far as I'm concerned it has
my full support for what it's worth.

--
Martin