Old 29-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Larry Blanchard

Default English Roses?

In article ,
says...
I'm in zone 5b in Canada and have more than 100 Austins (grown on
hardy northern Ontario rootstock) that get no winter protection except
for a blanket of snow. My oldest ones are six years old and while I've
even had Rugosas suffer winterkill, not one of my English roses has
ever died or gone wild, even when the temps go below -30C.

I've had dead branch tips on both rugosa and English roses, but never
total dieback of either. I did lose a moss rose and a Dortmund due to
cold weather, both in the same year, and a white rugosa (Sir Thomas
Lipton) sucumbed to something or other, probably thrips.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?