Old 29-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Wm...

Default did anybody see this on urg?

Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:38:13
uk.net.news.config Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

I suppose we had better subscribe to uk.net.news.config and make our
views on the matter known.

No, all you need to do is crosspost into unnc on an existing thread. I
will try to ensure any discussion is seen in urg too.

unnc is *not* the place for innocents at the moment stick to the
threads crossposted by sensible people into urg is my advice and make
sure your opinion is crossposted to unnc.

Does that mean you are not in agreement with such newsgroup being set up,
and therefore are going to oppose it?

I might.

I think it is a pile of codswallop. Just say to yourself:
uk.reg.gardening Exists
uk.rec.gardening.allottments Proposed

In that case why stop there, think of
uk.rec gardening.flowers
uk.rec.gardening.flowers.roses
uk.rec.gardening.shrubs
uk.rec.gardening.shrubs.deciduous
uk.rec.gardening.shrubs.evergreen
uk.rec.gardening.shrubs.evergreen.hardy

No one has made proposals for those groups. Relax a little, please.
People in unnc *do* understand the ridiculous, promise.

Uk.rec.gardening is already a very active and interesting gardening
newsgroup. It has a considerable number of participants who are de facto
allotment gardeners, and there are many interesting posts on that topic.
What on earth stops other allotment gardeners from joining the gang and
thereby helping to make an even more interesing newsgroup of URG?

Nothing, you are arguing to the wrong people.

I will bet a penny to the usual pile of dung that every post to the proposed
new group will in any case be crossposted to URG.

We don't know that; the issue is "should the group be created" and "is
there a need for it" ?

I don't think it should be created and don't see a need -- urg may have
changed since I've been away from it but I will accept other people's
opinions.

[munch]

On the contrary, I would urge urglers to write in pointing out the essential
crassness of splitting off gardening interests into a multitude of separate
groups.

It isn't about pointlessness -- if a number of people want the
..allotments group then they may have it. As someone who has followed
urg in the past I simply don't think the proposed group will work and
therefore argue against it.

And I would urge all urglers that, if this new group comes into existence,
they should avoid having anything to do with it, in order to hasten its
demise.

That is not your place and far to soon to say.
--
Wm ...