Old 29-01-2004, 07:33 AM
gregpresley

Default where did all those wild vegies go?

There are many wild relatives of lettuce and cabbage growing everywhere -
some are common weeds of the garden in fact! I'm pretty sure there are wild
grains around many places - small seeded varieties of wheat, oats,
buckwheat, etc, but you'd never be able to tell them apart from other tall
grasses. In the lower midwest and south there are native persimmons
everywhere in the woods. Also in the woods are blueberries, and in the south
and west, blackberries and other berries. But most of the garden vegetables
and fruits we have are bred for size and flavor, not for the rugged ability
to colonize wild places.
"Michelle" wrote in message
Hey I was reading a post on my cooking group and one user always
posts a factoid about food this time it was about a chili pepper plant
and it's ancesstory .
so my question is how come you don't just see vegetables growing all
over the place wild like som crazy out of control tomatoes or somthing
like that once I saw some whild sunflowers in the woods and I saw a
pumpkin once but not too much else I see whild fruit all the time like
crab apples or sour cherry but no bunches of
Have we imbread cultivated food plants that they just don't grow wild
where did all the wild plants go that we cultivated modern vegetables
from?
Just a queery
Michelle
"Love is the water in the garden of life "