Old 29-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default movie goof

Shelly said:

Delurking, since your post triggered a thought I had while watching the
movie...the battle scene in the movie starts out with shots of rabbits going
in and out of a warren. I was under the impression that the only species of
rabbit we have in North America that burrows in the pygmy cottontail out in
the Pacific Northwest. Am I mistaken, or was this a goof, too?

A result of filming in Europe, and not caring about the difference in flora and
fauna. 'Rabbits is rabbits' to most people. While eastern cottontails may dig
shallow scrapes, they in no way can compare to the warrens of European
rabbits. A daytime layup may be barely more than a shallow depression, and
a nest is a small bowl, hardly a burrow -- barely holds the litter.

I catch a lot of errors of this sort in films. Even films made in the appropriate
locations may have 'natural' sounds added in later in the studio, and the most
popular source of bird noises seems to be possibly a 'birds of Canada' tape.
You can hear loons and wood thrushes singing in the most amazing locales!

One film that gardeners in particular might notice was 'off' in terms of
vegetation was the Daniel Day Lewis version of The Last of the Mohicans.
The lavish wild rhododendrons were huge clues that they certainly weren't
filming in upstate New York but rather in the North Carolina. (No way I'd mistake
the Blue Ridge mountains for the Catskills or Adirondacks!)

(attributed to Don Marti)