Old 29-01-2004, 11:03 AM
jane

Default RFD: uk.rec.gardening.allotments

Re-crossposted to unnc ...

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:23:09 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
~"Janet wrote in message
~ REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
~
~ This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
~ in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:
~
~ create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.gardening.allotments
~
~
~ Is there a need for one ???? The suggested topics are all discussed in
~ uk.rec.gardening anyway, (where Gary Poston has never taken part) and
~ are of equal interest to many gardeners who don't hold an allotment.
~
~
~As you know, I am an allotment holder, also an allotment site
~representative, and I just can't see the need for a separate Ng. Gardening
~is gardening, whether it's in a back yard, a huge garden around a house or
~on an allotment site. We all learn from each others different experiences.
~Just look at some other gardening Ngs, dead in the water.
~Suppose it all comes down to, are you a splitter of a lumper, just like the
~botanists. I'm a lumper because I think one learns more about more with
~input from diverse sources.
~

I agree with you - I came to urg because of my allotment questions,
and have learned loads about all sorts of things I'll never grow for
one reason or another, and got some fantastic ideas, and also some
seed swaps. For instance, I'd never have learned about the waterbutt
irrigation systems available if it wasn't for urg, which was in a
normal gardening post last summer but is fantastically appropriate to
allotments.

--
jane

Mark Twain