Old 29-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Graham Drabble

Default did anybody see this on urg?

On 29 Jan 2004 "Paul-B" wrote in
:

Franz Heymann wrote:

I consider it a privilege to be able to use usenet and I am
irrevocably opposed to fouling it up with a quite unnecessary
plethora of newsgroups which will just become dormant within a few
months.

In which case they will be visited by Dr Death in due course.

That is not a particuarly good basis for creating new groups.
rmgroups

a) Take work to collect stats
b) Take work to get throught the RFD process
c) Are not going to be effective everywhere leaving rogue groups
around that will have people wondering why they don't get replies.
(How many people can still get access to comp.lang.perl? It was
rmgrouped years a go.)

The protection against groups going dead is the +12 in a vote. By
ensuring that at least 12 people want the group enough to vote for it
you almost guarantee there is enough interest. (Within the Big 8 most
people seem to think that only about 1 in 5-10 people tat want the
group will vote. I've never heard stats in uk.* but I imagine they're
similar.)

--
Graham Drabble
uk.net.beginners Information/discussion for newcomers to newsgroups