Old 29-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Alan Silver

Default Lighting ... or Correct Me if I am Wrong

I run a 70 gal with four 55watt compact fluors on it. Two on each side
of the tank as it where. Two switches, so I can start with one lamp on
each side, then as the day progresses I turn on the other two lamps.
Three kinds of swords, three types of crypts, val, sag,hygro, java
fern, water sprite and not sure of what else right now. No CO2, but at
least once a week I have to trim plants down/out enough to fill a good
sized salad bowl!.m

Care to share more details ? Without CO2, how do you get good growth
without an algae explosion ? That's some high lighting there.

Please fill in the other details. Anything you can think of. Ta. Any
pics available ?

Nothing fancy..just a lot of plants using up the available nutrients.

snip
The sag and val go to
the surface and then curl around which ends up blocking a fair amount of
the light too.

Yup, been there. I used to have a bunch of val that propagated and grew
so much that it filled up about one third of my tank. I ripped out most
of them in the end.

Also use a dose of Flora Pride twice a month,

That's interesting. The bottle gives a far higher dosage rate than that.
How much do you add ? Do you do any other fertilisation ?

snip

Thanx for the info. I'm just working out how best to revive my tank
after some months of neglect and poor growth (see the thread "How do I
rescue my planted tank ?" in this group) and am looking for ideas. I
would like as low maintenance as possible (not due to lack of interest,
more due to lack of time).

Ta ra

--
Alan Silver