Old 30-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default Dwarf fruit in containers

I have tried several times to keep miniature fruit trees (manchurian
apricots and nectarines) on my patio, here in zone 5. I have wrapped
them in insulation and they were on the southern side of my house. I
have lost
every one of these, after a season or two, so I have given up keeping
trees in pots. The planters were too big to move (22 inch pot) into a
protected area. Even fruit trees I grafted into 5 gallon containers,
and put in my shed all died. The only real protection I still think
might work is to bury the pots in your garden over the winter.

Sherwin D.

Thalocean2 wrote:

I know this subject has been done to death but I couldn't find answers to my
questions in searches.

Has anyone in zone 5ish been successful at keeping dwarf fruit in containers
that hold less than 50 gallons? Have the containers wintered well outside?
Did moving the trees hurt them?

I'm living in a temporary situation for the next 2 years and have lots of porch
space. I thought now would be a good time to get some fruit trees started to
be moved to my permanant home later but the containers need to be small enough
for me to be able to move with a dolly.

Thanks
Laura B
LauraATwhoeverDOTcom