Old 02-02-2003, 11:02 PM
profpam

Default what a mess :(

Hi, Deborah,

I don't understand how they entirely froze while in a greenhouse. While
in Sinapore in 90's, our timer caused a flood to the greenhouse, which
in turn shut off the electricity. Temperatures went down to 33 degrees
F. I only lost a few plants. Your temperatures must have been in the
freezing range for many hours. Yes, I have had a cymbidiums that were
kept outside in freezing temperatures for many hours. Rescuing such
plants is not a precise science; however, you might gradually try
raising the temperature and then applying Captan (a fungicide). Once
the structure of a plant fails there is little hope for it. Sorry to
hear about your experience.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

----------------------------------
"Deborah F. Ryan" wrote:

Folks, I've been reading through old posts hoping that I could find the
answer (if there is one) to no avail. We only have about a dozen orchids.
All in our little greenhouse which has managed to keep an average internal
temp of 60*f (NW Indiana) and all on the same self-watering tray they have
been on for several years. The only difference this year, was they were
moved closer to the door. Obviously, a Really bad move on my part
Despite the temp being well above freezing, every pot froze solid to the mat
and the plants look just awful. They were immediately moved to the highest
shelf (as close to the heating source as possible), but it's been nearly a
week and they aren't looking any better. At this point, would bringing them
indoors Really do them in, or just leave them were they are? Talk about
feeling sick...
Thanks in advance!
peace...debbie