Old 30-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Sacha

Default Little outdoor cucumbers?

David W.E. Roberts30/1/04 8:55

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......Are there any outdoor varieties which would produce something
similar?
: Smooth, small, tasty? ............."

Yes

Tease.

Care to name one?

www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk have a brochure called 'simply vegetables'.
In there are several cucumbers advertised which include White Wonder which
they say is generations old and can be eaten when only 3'4" long, Boothby's
Blonde, another heritage variety which can be eaten at the same size, Petita
F1 and a round one called Crystal Apple first introduced in 1894!
My husband, who used to grow cucumbers commercially, won't touch any of them
if they're not F1s because he says they can be pollenated by bees and heaven
only knows what results. ;-) Personally, I'm rather longing to try Crystal
Apple, so I think I'll have to sneak them into the place!
This catalogue seems to me to have some very interesting, unusual and often
old varieties in it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk