Old 30-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Prices

Reka wrote:

Looking at a European site today:

Paph. adductum Euro 250 $315
Paph charlesworthii v. alba Euro 100 $125
Paph. druryi Euro 175 $220
Paph. sanderianum Euro 200 (young plants) $250
Paph. rothschildianum Euro 350 $440

Are these prices in line with the prices in the States, or are they
exaggerated? Most of the plants are blooming size, but onl one growth.

I probably don't shop strictly retail much, but those prices sound
very high. The only things that are particularly 'rare' are the
sanderianum (may not be a bad price depending on how big it is) and the
adductum (you just don't see it much). It would have to be a very well
bred adductum of considerable size for me to consider spending over 150 U.S.

Charlesworthii v. alba might be interesting. I still wouldn't pay
that much for it, but I might consider 75 U.S.

Rothschildianum can be had as a multiple growth plant (in bloom) for
under 300 U.S. if you know where to look (Try Orchid Inn, as a starting
point). Obviously high quality ones, or divisions of said plants,
command higher prices. Roth isn't particularly rare anymore, don't pay
a premium for it. Druryi is uncommon for some reason although I have
seen several vendors selling it in flask, but unless it is an awarded
division, I wouldn't pay more than 40 U.S. for one.

So, I have three druryi (blooming size), a half dozen B.S. roths,
innumerable roth seedlings, and one adductum. Perhaps I should quickly
run to Europe and cash out...

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit