Old 30-01-2004, 11:42 PM
K Barrett

Default rgo history? a list of names and dates

And I *Think* this is the first announcement of AJ Hicks' Orchid Seedbank
Project.

(don't know much about hist-o-ree)

From: Aaron Hicks )
Subject: Orchid Seedbank
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: 1996/11/17

Orchidophiles!
We are considering opening an orchid seedbank. Having realized the
demand for orchid seed, we're going to try to fill the niche.

Anybody interested in comments or reviewing or policies are
welcomed to e-mail me at and ask for more information,
or *heh* sending us comments.
We would deal in species only, and work on a credit-for-donation
basis (initially around 4:1 or 5:1, so that for ever 4 or 5 packets of
seed donated, the donor would have their choice of 1 free packet). Packets
would have enough seed for 6-10 flasks of 100 seedlings, but we've not
been able to work out the germination and viability problems yet.
Packets would sell for about $2 packet, more or less for "bulk"
seed (donations over 250,000 seed, which would not follow the 4:1 or
5:1 ratio, due to the large volume), or for particularly rare or uncommon
varieties or species.

-AJHicks
Wonk
Socorro, NM