Old 31-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Elroy Willis

Default Freeze Proof Tomato?

Cereus-validus wrote in rec.gardens

Save the seeds and plant them to see what you get is exactly what you
should do.

The only way to know if the traits are heritable is to grow plants from the
seeds.

You will need to cut open the fruit and carefully remove the seeds.

It will be a tricky matter removing the seeds from the pulp and drying them
but may be worth it if you can grow plants from them whith the traits you
suggest.

I'm definitely gonna do that. What I'm curious about is what would
make the skin on this tomato impervious to cold? We've had at least
a dozen freezes around here, some of 'em even in the low 20's.

What could make the skin so freeze-proof, and I wonder if the
seeds will produce fruit with skin so thick it might be inedible or
something. I wonder if a freeze-resistant fruit skin will mean that
the leaves will also be more freeze-resistant?

I guess I'll have to wait till next winter to find out, but that'll
give me something to look forward to.

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound