Old 31-01-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Dwarf fruit in containers

my favorite refrain is "rootstock". I got dwarf fruit trees from some of these yahoo
places like the one in Canindegua (sp) and they were grafted onto incompatible root
stock and after 3 years every single one broke off at the graft.

I have a delicate dissectum grafted maple that does fine in a pot on the north side
of my shed outside. the fig tree I bring into the barely heated garage has to be
watered or it will dessicate too much. rather than sink or bury the pots, it might
work to just use hay bales to shelter them.... it if the freeze thaw cycles that
break the roots. my rubbermaid water troughs are touch, they dont crack or bend and
they do insulate. I had to whitewash the trunks since they are on a south facing
wall.
http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/cata.../apricots.html
I got peaches and asian pears from them. the trees are wonderful my only problem is
I am going to have to seriously construct a frame to hold the branches or the
branches and the graft will snap. Ingrid

Sherwin Dubren wrote:
I have tried several times to keep miniature fruit trees (manchurian
apricots and nectarines) on my patio, here in zone 5. I have wrapped
them in insulation and they were on the southern side of my house. I
have lost
every one of these, after a season or two, so I have given up keeping
trees in pots. The planters were too big to move (22 inch pot) into a
protected area. Even fruit trees I grafted into 5 gallon containers,
and put in my shed all died. The only real protection I still think
might work is to bury the pots in your garden over the winter.

Sherwin D.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com