Old 31-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Kay Easton

Default Climbers from Seed

In article , Mel
writes
My newish fence desperately needs to be clothed in greenery. I've planted
hardy wall shrubs such as pyracantha, quince, ceonanthus, jasmine,
passiflora and clematis, but they're all still far too small to hide the
fence.

So, in the meantime I want mega-fast-growing plants to cover the fence this
year.

I'll be growing the plants from seeds, so I don't mind if they're annual. I
prefer pink, purple or blue flowery things.

I've chosen some fairly unusual, tender seeds, so can anyone tell me if
these plants will (a) cover my fence this year and (b) even grow here in NW
England?

Rhodochiton

I'm growing it in a greenhouse in Leeds but it's struggling atm, so
dodgy outside.

Billardiera
Akebia
Asarina
Eccremocarpus

Still looking happy in the greenhouse, so might be possible south facing
in a sunny spot.

Cobaea
Ipomea

Will be clobbered by frost, and can be a bit slow to flower unless grown
early and fast.

Why not try Convolvulus minor - same family as the little pink weed, but
it climbs to about 6 feet and has flowers in pink, purple and blue.
Ipomea-ish in general feel, but tolerates cooler summers better.

Apart from that, try some of the sweet peas and the other Lathyrus
species. Matucana is an old fashioned highly fragrant sweet pea in two-
tone purple. Lathyrus sativus has a variety with very striking steel
blue flowers.

Or a purple-leaved purple-podded climbing French bean - handsome, and
you could eat it too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: