Old 01-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default rooting hormone

WiGard wrote:

I am presently using Rootone powder for propagation.
Are there better choices?

Some rhododendron and azalea propagators use Hormodin rooting powders.
It is made by Olympic Horticultural Products (www.hormodin.com).

It comes in 3 strengths:

Hormodin 1: 1% Indole-3-butyric Acid
Hormodin 2: 3% Indole-3-butyric Acid
Hormodin 3: 8% Indole-3-butyric Acid

Rootone has 4.24% Indole-3-butyric Acid

Rooting hormones seem to work by retarding top growth while the callus
and roots are forming on the wound. Too strong of a hormone will cause
residual retardation of the top growth after the roots form and may
interfere with the early development of the cutting into a plant.

Stronger powders do better with hard to root cuttings but may retard
growth of easy to root cuttings. Weaker powders work best with easy to
root cuttings and have less of an effect in retarding the growth of
plant after rooting.

By using the Hormodin powders commercial growers can optimize their
results. Rootone is more for the home hobbyist where production is not
critical.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman