Old 01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
Shiva

Default Complimentary Roses

dave weil wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:30:59 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"

Baby Love would be a nice upright bush that would complement Golden
Celebration. I know that you value scent almost above everything else,
so this would devalue Baby Love, but I like the idea of contrasting
large blooms with smaller "species-esque" blooms. Baby Love *does*
have a light scent, but you have to get pretty close to the blooms. I
found that mine stayed in bloom most of the year. Upside? Compact,
upright growth - mine is now about 4 feet tall and well-shaped with a
thick, dense structure. Very disease-resistant in my environment.
Takes to shaping pretty well if desired. No thorn problem. Downside?
To keep it blooming, you have to keep deadheading. It's not that big
of a deal to do a few everyday, but the blooms only last a couple of
days (maybe as long as 5 days). The nice thing is that as you pinch
them off, there are plenty of blooms just starting their cycle, so
it's rarely bare. However, plenty of blooms means plenty of daily
deadheading of 3 to 10 blooms during the biggest bloom period. It only
takes about a minute.

Here's a reminder from mid-season this year (June, I think):

http://www.pbase.com/image/19899228

I really like this, for a single. It would provide nice variation
in size and shape, too. Good suggestion. Nice dark green foliage, too.

How about Portland from Glendorra? I think it would complement things
like Paul Neyron. The scent will bowl you over when it's in full
bloom.

That sounds good, and yours is gorgeous, but the size might be a
problem. That, by the way, is one of the few shades of pink
I can stand.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Dave. When did you see Rundgren? I saw him live
in Houston years ago in a sleazy r&r club.